Friday, November 27, 2009

Sarah's Key

I just finished reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay and would highly recommend it . I think it is the type of book many of you would read. I don't remember ever hearing about this particular event of WWII. It is a beautiful novel about a horrific and under-reported event that took place during WWII, the Vel’d'Hiv’ roundup of more than 13,000 French Jews in Paris by the French police. Told alternately from Sarah’s point of view in 1942 and that of Julia Jarmond, a modern day American journalist researching the event for it’s 60th anniversary, Ms. de Rosnay seamlessly weaves the two stories together.

3 comments:

Isla Deb said...

Sounds like it would be very good. I'll definitely put it on my list. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jackie said...

I have added this book to my list for when I next make a purchase.
Have you read Shanghai Diary by Ursula Bacon? It is a very good book,

Ann said...

No, I haven't, Jackie--I will have to look for it. Always looking for suggestions!