Monday, October 26, 2009

" Nubble" Light

After Mom & I had lunch I saw a sign that said scenic viewpoint 1 mile, so we said "let's go". And it turned out to be Nubble Light. the formal name is Cape Neddick Lighthouse--it was built & 1st lit in 1879.
The usual way of getting to and from the Nubble was by boat. For a time, the keepers used a bucket suspended on a line across the channel to transport supplies.
Around 1967, Coast Guard keeper David Winchester put his two children in the bucket each morning to send them on their way to school.
A photographer snapped a picture of seven-year-old Ricky Winchester in the bucket, and the photo appeared widely in newspapers. A woman also painted a scene of the boy in the bucket, and it won the York Harbor Art Show.
The district commander saw the photo in a Boston paper. An arrangement was made for the child to board on the mainland during the week. Soon after that, it became policy that families with school-age children were not sent to the Nubble.


The light was automated in 1987 and the last Coast Guard keeper, Russell Ahlgren, was removed. A crowd of more than 300 spectators witnessed the automation ceremonies on July 13 in dense fog.





4 comments:

Vee said...

What an interesting post! I love lighthouses, but I wouldn't want to go to school in a bucket!

Ann said...

Thanks, Vee. When i was there I wonddered how they got off the island--it'very close, but you couldn't cross the water--so I figuered they always went by boat. When i was in college I knew several kids that lived on islands in Maine--some went back 7 forth every day to school on the mainland--I guess like going to school in cancun! much smaller boats for the crossing--and much colder weather in the winter!

Isla Deb said...

I'm with Vee...I LOVE lighthouses. And I love your second photo in the post. Did you ever see the movie, "Beetlejuice?" That picture reminds me SOOOO much of the house that Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis lived in in the movie.

Bennie said...

Great pictures and what a great story. I can't imagine being one of those kids riding the bucket to get across to go to school.