Sunday, October 11, 2009

The long drive home...

The drive from my Mom's ususally takes me about 3 hours, not counting pit stops or stopping for food or gas. Of course, this trip that wasn't to be! I got on the highway & after a song finished on the radio I heard" there's an accident at exit 37 that should be pulled off to the side of the road shortly" and I'm just passing exit 41 and the traffic stopped dead on the road! So we inch along for awhile & it turns out the stoppage isn't because of the accident--they're doing construction--usually any construction is done at night because this is a busy road--I'm thinking because it's the beginning of Columbus Day weekend, they decided to work during the day.
Finally got through the construction & accident sites & moved along for a bit. Came up to a rest stop on the Mass. Pike & I think I will go in & get some tea & a snack. Luck is still eluding me---two tour buses had just let off all their passengers when I pulled in! Every food place had long lines, so I used the facilities & got back on the road.....Another 20 miles down the road it started raining!Just so you know I took all these photos when we were sitting still in traffic--once the traffic was moving, many people were trying to make up for lost time & going pretty fast!
After a few stops close to home for some groceries & to see Alan, I finally made it home about 5 hours later!




3 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

That used to happen to us back in Washington State all the time. Traffic jams that would take an hour to go a few miles. UGH! Glad you made it home Ann!

Bennie said...

Oh wow.. 5 hours of driving and you never left New England.

Islagringo said...

How well I remember fighting through rush hour traffic to get home from work. Thanks for bringing those memories back. (not!)