Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Coast of Maine

A little background....I went to visit my Mom last week and one of the things she wanted to do is go to Maine; to the coast and to the Stonewall Kitchens store. The store is in York--about 45 minutes from her house. We decided to go on Tues. since they were predicting nice weather--it was beautiful! Went & got the shopping out of the way ( & I met a friend I hadn't seen in 25 years!) and then went to York Harbor.
There was a new Cliff Walk starting out at Short Sands Beach--these shots were all taken there. I walked a little way on the walk while Mom sat on a bench in the sun. Lots of the stacks of rocks like you can see in this photo. I'd never been to this particular small beach before--I'm sure it's very crowded in the summer--need to have a town permit to park there.

There were quite a few people sitting along the beach; reading, painting or just enjoying the day!




Only " person" brave enough( or stupid) to go in the water was this Golden Retriever--he was having a grand time! The water was very cold, but then it is even in the height of summer!


More to come!



10 comments:

Sandia said...

That was Short Sands Beach in York! We always stay at the Union Bluff which [if you are facing the water] is to your left overlooking the harbor...big white building with green shutters...awesome restaurant and pub!

Ann said...

Thanks for the correction, Sandy!

Isla Deb said...

I LOVE Maine!! Two of my kids and I took a road trip there in 2003...it's just beautiful. We went up to Bar Harbor and came down the coast. I would love to have a summer home there. The kids braved the water, but it was too cold for even my toes! Beautiful photos!

Life's a Beach! said...

I love York Ann! We stayed all night there about 5 years ago at a restored inn called the Chapman Cottage (not a cottage, but a very wealthy person's summer home in the early days). I need to go back there again. Antiques, the sea and lobster = bliss!

Ann said...

Beck & Deb--Anytime you want to come back to the area let me know! I love Maine!

Vee said...

Such a beautiful area, Ann. I've never been to Maine, but it's on my list. I look forward to seeing more photos!

Moongrl722 said...

Pretty pics. Looks like a fun day. Love the pic of the golden retriever!

Ann said...

Vee & Jana--thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the pics. Add it to your list of plaes you want to see!

Jackie said...

What is so special about Stonewall Kitchens store that your mother wanted to go there?
Funny, I bet just about every state with an ocean coastline has a Short Sands Beach. I know we do here in Oregon.

Jackie said...

Oh, I found Stonewall Kitchens store. It's kind of like my Bob's Red Mill.