Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Yikes! I think I've become a Country Bumpkin!

I went to Greater Hartford this morning to take a friend to the hospital for a routine test. She had to have someone take her & be around for awhile to make sure the drugs they gave her wore off. In the early afternoon I took her to her brother's house on the far side of Hartford & then drove home.
Of course, it was pouring rain all day, so the spray from all the tractor trailer trucks was brutal!
At the hospital I drove around the complex 3 times trying to find a parking space--after the 1st time, I dropped my friend off at the door & kept looking. After the 3rd time, I stopped in front of the building to go in & tell Jenny I couldn't find a spot--someone that worked there comes over & says" go park in the handicapped spot & just sign in at the desk."......
I hadn't planned on staying while she had the procedure( was going to run some errands), but thought I'd probably never find another spot so I stayed! They actually gave me a coupon worth $1.30 to use in the cafeteria!
When I moved to CT in the mid 70's I lived & worked in Greater Hartford for 10years or so until I got married & moved to the country......guess I'm finally more country than city!
I was never so happy to get back to our small town with no traffic lights.... we do have a rotary in the center of town and a few stop signs!

2 comments:

Isla Deb said...

I can relate, Ann. Before I moved to Texas, I lived in a town with a population of 650 in South Dakota. It was the first really small town I've ever lived in and I loved it.

Roadfood & Eateries said...

I have to bite the bullet and pay parking every time I take the wife to the hospital for tests. $15 bucks and that covers an hour. Yikes! It is under ground parking and you have to have a ticket to get out. Nice of you to take a friend, that is what friendships are all about. Being there when needed.....Doogan