Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The trip to get to Isla--takes too long!

Last spring we had found a direct flight from Hartford, CT to Cancun---a rare thing! Only goes once a week ( on Sat) and not all year round.....But we booked for Jan. & told some of our friends who usually go around the same time. We decided to go to the airport area the night before, so we didn't have to get up at 2 am to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight ( according to the Delta website). Stayed at the Ramada ( the price of the room included 2 weeks of parking)--it was great!
Took the hotel's shuttle over to the airport at 6am for our 9 am flight--Alan was not a happy camper! I had checked on online, printed boarding passes & checked bags. We were able to drop our bags at curbside & proceed directly to security. No lines ( very surprising --it was a Sat.). My carry on was pulled aside for extra checking, but all ok. It took all of 15 minutes & we got to the gate. Our friends, Kathy & Rick showed up awhile later and the plane ride was very uneventful. Their son Steve & his fiancee, Tiffany ( her 1st trip ) were waitng for us at the Cancun airport & we found our USA transfer van quickly. Stopped for beers at the gas station & made the 2:30 ferry.

Rick, Steve, Tiffany and Kathy upstairs on the ferry


Arrived & we decided to walk with a bicycle guy to our room at SeaHawk........more to come.

4 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

I love the direct flight from Phoenix to CUN. It's USAirways. If the price isn't drastically different, it's first choice! Glad you had a quick trip and can't wait to hear about the rest of your stay!

Ann said...

This was on delta & I really hesitated after our debacle in 2005 getting stuck in Atlanta for 3 days!

Jackie said...

Sigh… no direct flights for me. 6 ½ - 7 hours in the air with usually at least a 90 minute layover no matter what airline and airport I fly through. Next trip I booked I am flying home through Mexico City with a 6 hour layover in the middle of the night. Then I have a second short layover after Immigration and Customs in Phoenix. That was the only way I could find a flight under $760+ anytime in March no matter how many times I changed my travel dates.

Bennie said...

Wow you can get there from Hartford faster than I can from South Carolina. I'm Jealous!