Thursday, August 20, 2009

Unearthing Old Fair Photos

I have been working with our local Historical Society, looking for old photos from the fair. Our 100th anniversary is coming up in 2012 & we want to have a display of photos through the years. When they find a few, they call me so I can scan them & print. They have been finding some great ones!
The Ag Society was started in 1910 & they had the 1st fair that year, but 2 years in the 40s there was no fair.


This horse race is taking place on the main road in town! What is now CT state rt. 63......
Most of these photos were taken by a man named Fleig whose descendants still live in town. They have the glass plates for alot of the pictures & are sifting through boxes looking for negatives--just closed their business so they have lots of boxes to go through!




Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enlarged the pic of the parade. I was wishing i could of heard the band playing:-))
ever notice in any old pic, they are stonefaced? never a happy smile? Dental hygiene or just the times?
carl/debbie

Moongrl722 said...

I love the clothing in the pics. The little girl's dress and dark stockings in the third pic is especially cute. I watched a documentary a couple of weeks ago on PBS about the history of the Texas State Fair called 'A Fair to Remember' and it was so incredibly interesting. I love old photos and film footage. It's like time travel.

Isla Deb said...

What great old photos! My, how times have changed.

I also like your cement wall baskets...what a great way to dress up that wall. Very pretty! You sure do have a green thumb. (I guess all the rain helps, too!)

Life's a Beach! said...

I love all these photos, but that horse drawn float is amazing!