Thursday, August 12, 2010

Canning..sort of!

A friend gave me a few cukes & squash yesterday, so I decided I'd make some refrigerator pickles. Alan doesn't eat cukes, so I used them. The squash will get grated or chopped & frozen. Didn't want the hassle of getting out the canner, etc. so I found a recipe that you make & put in the refrigerator & can eat after one day. I didn't want to buy separate ingredients ( peppercorns, bay leaves, mustard seeds), but I have a jar of pickling spices so I substituted that.
Finished product! This has been one of the nicest temperature -wise days we've had in quite awhile--even had the windows open. Should have planned to make jam, too, but got started too late--maybe tomorrow!

3 comments:

Isla Deb said...

Can you share your recipe?? I'm really curious as to how they taste. I love pickles and cukes!

Life's a Beach! said...

Love homemade pickles! There's a grill here that serves homemade pickles on their sandwiches. You'll have to let us know how that recipe tastes!

Vee said...

Perfect timing! Tim is planning to make refrigerator pickles this weekend. Our neighbor gave us a bunch of cukes. He uses my mother's recipe. They're good!