Monday, August 23, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust...

My place of employment for the past 24 years ( until I stopped working after Xmas 2009) is closing on August 31st after being in business for 55 years! Another casualty of the economy....
When I went to work there in 1986 ( 2 weeks after I got married & moved to the area), it was the only game in town.....It is a gift/china/crystal/housewares store.
At the time there were no Targets, Walmart, Home Depot, Bed, Bath & Beyond around.....
Stores were closed Sun & Mon & Thursday was the one night it was open--all of downtown torrington was like that--and boy, were we busy that night! Everybody in the area did their bridal registries there--30 or 40 a month!
With the advent of big box stores the retail climate changed.....
I went in today...lots of people in there looking for bargains...All the employees have seen it coming, but it was still a shock. The woman who is the manager is 60 years old and has worked there 43 years--all other employees have been there at least 20 !
I am moving on to the next phase of my life--I signed up for Social Security last week & will get my 1st check in mid October.....Makes me realize I'm growing older!

And I just realized that I'm posting this on my 24th wedding anniversay!

5 comments:

Vee said...

Sad that the shop is closing, but then again, it says a lot that it remained open as long as it did. And - Happy Anniversary!

Linda said...

Happy Anniversary!

Linda
Isla Chica

Kimberly said...

Happy Annivesary! Our 5 year was this month and I'm looking forward to year 24.

I believe that the economy is turning around simply because to focus on the opposite is just too depressing for me. I'm hoping that these changes allow people to make a shift in their lives that makes them happier. I know it sounds naive, but I really do hope that there is a bigger that we just can't see yet.

Ann said...

Thanks for the well wishes! Kim, it's a great attitude to ahve, but sometimes you get in so deep waiting for it to turn around. That's what happened to this business ( a condensed version)--the owner should have closed 6+ months ago!

Jackie said...

Happy anniversary Ann! At least you saw the closure coming and didn't go to work one day to find the doors locked. I know people that has happened to.