Friday, August 13, 2010

Canning...really!

Another comfortable day so after I came home from the fairgrounds I decided to make some jam. I had taken the fruit out of the freezer before I went out so it was ready to be crushed.It takes about double what you need to make the crushed amount ( 8 c. whole makes about 4 c. crushed)
The ingredients: berries, sugar, liquid pectin & a tsp. of butter--that cuts down on the foam--pretty simple.


Got the lids and rings sterilized in hot water......

Mixing it up.....







Essentials for the operation....jar lifter, canning funnel and measuring cup ( used to fill the jars)


I use a steam canner--not approved by the USDA, but I have used one for 15 years & never had a poblem. I never make anything but jams, relishes and pickles. Most anything else you need a pressure canner & I don't have one.








Just about to boil...had to stop taking photos here--everything goes quickly at this point & can't be distracted by the camera!




And then on to the batch of blueberry jam....










Finished product--the blackberry








And the blueberry...are they blue ribbon contenders? I hope so! Will know in a few weeks....














3 comments:

couzin frank said...

Ann you get my Blue ribbon for making me drool. :) Hope you win! And thanks for annual Fair pic's...always enjoy.

Ann said...

Frank--Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Sandia said...

YUMMY! Your jams are always awesome [hint-hint]....we will see you at the Fair, thanks from George, Madelyn and me!