Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Same river, different time of year!

These photos are from April, 2007. I was up visiting my family and watched the river move across their back yard--not quite enough to flood the basement! this happens when they get lots of snow up north ( in NH ) and in the spring it melts! As you can see, the yard is totally under water! And the river is moving right along --in the yard!
The video shows my brother, Tom, up to his waist in the water ( in waders) with a rake, pushing limbs and other debris back out into the current so when the water recedes the cleanup won't be so bad. They usually end up with alot of sand. It washes away plants, bushes and sometimes a tree or 2!





4 comments:

Moongrl722 said...

Wow! That's a LOT of water!! Scary.

Islagringo said...

Do they get this every year? Pain in the butt if they do. I sure hope he knows for certain where his yard ends and the river's edge is!

Ann said...

Wayne--not every year. Really depends on how much snow they get up north--probably will happen this year. And even if it happens, it's not usually as bad as these pictures--this is th extreme! And there are a line of trees along the river bank so it's fairly easy to tell where the line is!

Bennie said...

WOW. That's a lot of water. I've had my house flooded before and it's not a fun job to clean up. I'm sure it wrecked the yard too.