Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bloodroot--a year later!

Bloodroot is a North American native perennial herb found growing in shaded, moist, rich woodlands from Quebec south to Florida and west to Kansas. Bloodroot grows to about 6 to 7 inches tall.  The pale green, palmate, lobed, basal leaf is wrapped around the flower as it emerges and opens as the flowers blooms. The stem of Bloodroot is round, often orange or red when mature, it is topped by a single white flower with 8 to 12 petals and bright yellow center. The root is a thick, tender, tuber which contains a red juice that stains the skin readily. Gather root when flowers are in bloom. Dry the roots for later use or tincture fresh. Bloodroot is endangered and should be cultivated. Do not harvest from the wild.
 Last year I posted photos of this growing in my yard & someone commented that it was bloodroot!
April 2010 post -bloodroot--so now I know what it is!

7 comments:

JIM said...

never heard of it but it looks lovely as a bud it looks like a white rose..really interesting to photograph I bet

http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/04/fairy-tale-created-by-rimly-bezbaruah.html

Ann said...

Thanks, Jim! Yes, it does look like a rose or tulip, but tiny!

jackie said...

I never really thought about it but if someone asked me what I thought bloodroot looked like I might say a root vegetable and grows underground.

Life's a Beach! said...

Ann, those photos make me miss the forest I backed into in Washington State. I don't think I've ever seen bloodroot before. It's a pretty little flower!

Ann said...

I was just told if you pick the flower, the stem oozes reddish orange & you could use as a dye. I may have to try it!

Alfandi said...

a really beautiful one..this is a new one for me..never seen it before but thanks to you...

Kimberly Gauthier, Dog Nutrition Blogger for Keep the Tail Wagging said...

Gorgeous