Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ken Burn's " The National Parks"

Have you watched any of the PBS series "The National Parks -America's Best Idea" by Ken Burns? It started on Sunday and was on again last night. I have been watching & it has brought back some great memories. In the summer of 1972 I travelled across the country ( and into Canada & MX) with a friend--this was our setup......A '63 Falcon, an orange 2 person pup tent and a coleman stove! We travelled from June-Sept, staying in a hotel only 2 nights ( but we did look up family & friends when we could!) This is me at our campsite in Niagara Falls--1st day on the road! During the trip we purchased Golden Eagle Passes --good for entry to all parks for 1 year. I think we ended up going to at least 10 parks that summer. But a few photos from a few places--the car going through a giant sequoia in Yosemite.
Our day at Yellowstone was awesome! Here's some thermal hot springs


And colorful hot springs. This trip was the 1st time I'd been off the east coast & we travelled about 4000 miles through 23 states.

And what's a trip to yellowstone without a visit to Old Faithful! We lucked out & didn't have to wait long for it to erupt!







6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT POST !! those trees always amazed me. I remember looking at them thru that.....thing? what was it? you held it to your face, and it had a round disk with pics on it, and you clicked it for a different pic? what the heak was that called?
Post more of these pics, i even liked the old ford falcon:-))
carl/debbie

Ann said...

A View Master? I remeber we had those, too!

Isla Deb said...

Wow...what a trip! I would love to do something like that someday...minus the pup tent thing. Think I'll go with a Holiday Inn Express instead! Ha! Great photos!

Life's a Beach! said...

What cool photos Ann! We've done a lot of the national parks since we've lived out West. I'll never forget Yosemite because Michael was a hormonal jr. high boy and refused to get out of the car to look at anything! Thanks for the tip on the Ken Burns special!

Bennie said...

Oh WOW! What a cool trip and great pictures you pulled out. I bet you had a great time writing this post and looking up old photos.

kcope14 said...

i would like to se the pictures maybe tom can resite them for me