Friday, June 19, 2009

Jammin'

It was raining again yesterday morning & I decided I didn't feel like going out anywhere. So I thought I'd get started on some jam making...A friend had given me some rhubarb last week & I had readied a portion of it for making strawberry-rhubarb jam. The prep work really takes longer than the actual jam making. First got the lids and rings ready. Then I got the strawberries and the rhubarb set. I had frozen the rhubarb last week; just had to crush & measure the strawberries today. Measure out the sugar, wash the jars, get out the pectin, get out the steam canner.



Here's a photo of the jam before it went into the jars--one batch is about 8 -8oz. jars--takes about 1 1/2 hrs. from start to finish.




And the finished product....Then I decided I was on a roll so I'd make 4 dozen oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! That was it for the day. Have enough strawberries to make a few more batches of jam--strawberry, strawberry-pineapple, strawberry-banana....





6 comments:

Isla Deb said...

Hey! Where's the picture of the cookies?! Ha! The jam looks great! Wish I could taste it. Your macros are great...I love the red strawberries with the green background.

Ann said...

Thanks, Deb!

Life's a Beach! said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! You're definitely the Jam Queen! : ) Now pass me a cookie!

Karen said...

looks great !!!

Doug (aka Doogan) said...

One of my favorite jams. Our strawberries are just starting to come in. The good woman has made a couple of rhubarb custard pies for me, though.

Bennie said...

Wow you had me at the strawbery jam, but then ou tossed in cookies. Darn I should have been in Connecticut.