Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Flowers at the Public Garden

In Boston there are 2 gardens --the Public Garden & "the Boston Garden". The Public Garden was started in 1837, the country's first botanical garden. Palms in the garden......



Allium--aren't they beautiful--Makes me want to plant some in my yard!


And the Swan boats...For over 130 years, the Swan Boats have been a part of the Boston experience. As a welcome sign of Spring, they grace the waters of the Boston Public Garden . Famed in the stories Make Way for Ducklings and The Trumpet of the Swan, the Swan Boats are the only boats of their kind in the world. These are run by pedal power--the operator pedals the boat around a lagoon in the Garden. They were created and are still run by the Paget family.


Now the other Boston Garden....it was built in 1928 and demolished in 1997. It was the home of the Boston Bruins & Celtics and showplace of the circus & the Ice Capades. I have many fond memories of going to different games & shows there.



5 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Beautiful photos Ann! I'm amazed those exotic palms can make it through a Boston winter, but I know some varieties will make it down to 0 degrees without damage.

Ann said...

I was surprised to see them--don't remember them being there before--it's been a few years since I've been int the garden--last time was in March & it was cold so there weren't any flowers to look at.

Isla Deb said...

Yes, I love the allium. Funny looking little things in such a perfect ball shape. Love the color.

Jackie said...

Oh so that is what the lavendar things are called. My mom has some in her yard.

Bennie said...

I was going to ask what the purple flowers were and I see Isla Deb answerd it already. Those are great pics.