Saturday, May 16, 2009

Tomatomania!

Yesterday I went to "Tomatomania"--a plant ( mostly tomato) sale that is held a a local garden center--White Farm Farm. I have been a few times before, but this year's sale was much busier than when I've gone in the past. Barb, the nursery mgr & an Isla friend, said their edibles( veggies, fruit) sales are doing great--so many people deciding to grow their own this year. They had all the tomato plants arranged alphabetically--145 varieties! I had looked at their website at all the types & made a list of what I was looking for....learned the hard way--1st year I went I just walked up & down --too many types to choose from!
I arrived 15 minutes after they opened & the parking lot was already full. I ended up with lots of herbs, all the tomatoes that I wanted and a few veggies thrown in, too. Now if we could only have some warm(er) weather! Still a threat of frost for early next week!

This is part of the rest of the nursery--I did a post with photos at the end of April.
I planted most of the herbs yesterday, but will save the tomatoes, squash & peppers ( got Ancho plants) for at least another week.






7 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

We even planted two patio tomatoes in pots this year. I saw a little blip on a news magazine show last night that sales are way up because of the uncertain economy. Nice nursery!

Isla Deb said...

What a great place! Hmmm...makes me want to plant some tomatoes.

Ann said...

Thanks--We live in the woods & my vegetable garden is now in the shade much longer than it should be, so I will be putting the tomatoes in pots near the house--doing carrots, beans, peppers, squash & cukes, too....

Bennie said...

That's a lot of varieties to pick from on the tomatos. Did you say chance of FROST? You must be kidding it's MAY.

Vee said...

Wow - wonderful garden shop! Wish we had something similar here. I also wish it were not raining so I could garden today.

Ann said...

Bennie, yes I did--it was 42 at 9 am today! Had heavy rain & thunderstorms overnight.
Vee--it's not raining now but it's way too cold to be gardening...I'm itching to do some, too!

Doug (Doogan) said...

I would be in tomato heaven in this nursey, I can't resist new varieties and would want to try one of every thing.