Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Coq Au Vin-slow cooker recipe

Decided it would be a great day to make something in the slow cooker & decided on Coq au Vin--chicken in wine. It's one of Alan's favorite meals! I found the recipe in a Sandra Lee Semi Homemade Slow Cooker cookbook. If you're not familiar with her recipes, she uses some convenience foods, ie. frozen or already cut up stuff to make cooking a little easier.
All mixed together & in the crockpot.

From the cookbook--the finished product!


Coq au Vin
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 med. red bell peppers, cut into strips
2 cups merlot or other red wine
1 cup frozen loose pack petite white onions
1 cup frozen loose pack sliced carrots
1 rib celery, chopped
1 can ( 6 oz.) tomato paste
1/4 cup cognac
2 strips of pre-cooked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 T. Zesty Herb marinade mix ( McCormicks)
In a 4-5 quart slow cooker, stir together chicken, pepper strips, wine, onions, carrots, celery, tomato paste, cognac, bacon & herb marinade mix until thoroughly combined.
Cover and cook on Low heat setting for 5-6 hours.
Serve with rice or your favorite pasta
****The 1st time I made this I faithfully followed the recipe, but subsequent times I have varied--substituting a cut-up onion for petite onions, leaving out the cognac, replacing the frozen carrots with cut up baby carrots & leaving out the bacon. All of this depends on what I have in the house when I decide to make the recipe!
Enjoy!




3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have a slow cooker, I can do this. I hope it was as delicious as it looks and sounds.

K

Moongrl722 said...

Oh, that looks good! You know I'm obsessively in love with my slow cooker!

Ann said...

Kim--It's very easy! have you ever looked at A Year of Crockpotting blog?
Jana--you were one of the reasons I posted this! Got a few more recipes to make again to take photos! Doing recipe testing for our fairbook!